The following description was taken from the "Sunbeam", a newspaper which was published at Essex in 1887 by W.F. Ellsworth.
"Essex is situated in the Pawnee valley, one of the most beautiful and fertile regions in the state. It is on the proposed line of the Kansas Air Line Railroad, which will connect the main line of the D.M.&A. running southwest into the coal fields of Colorado, giving us direct communications north, south and southwest. Essex is 22 miles from Garden City. 15 miles from Ravanna. 14 miles from Pierceville. 8 1/2 from Eminence. It is surrounded by the most fertile soil of Kansas, which is being rapidly improved. Water is first class, found at a depth of 15 to 50 feet in the valley. The best of soft magnesia limestone building rock is found within 1/2 mile of town. Essex has a hotel, general store, printing office, real estate office, blacksmith shop, lumber yard, and five dwellings. It has a complete canning outfit with a 2000-can capacity, and a large sorghum mill."
James Concannon with his wife and family settled in Garfield township in 1887. He reared his family in Essex for many years after the boom of Western Kansas had passed, he remained as post master and operated a general store. At the same time he engaged extensively in stock raising and owned many acres of land in the Essex neighborhood. The post office was discontinued in 1914, and there is nothing left to mark the old townsite of Essex except some farm buildings.
Note: Text taken from "Conquest of Southwest Kansas" by Leola Howard Blanchard, which can be ordered through the Finney County Historical Museum.